Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First Post "Woot"!

After titling this post I realized I had no idea what "woot" really meant or where it had come from. A quick jaunt to Merriam-Webster revealed that woot is not in the dictionary (I know, I was as surprised as you are). A search for woot at wikipedia, most magnificent storehouse of knowledge since the Great Internet Slang Archive of Alexandria, provided me with a little more information. I found this page, which was comical in the seriousness of its tone. I may be a snob but I just don't think the word etymology should be applied to internet slang. We need a different word for where internet lingo comes from, like osmosis. Something base, organic, stupid. A "word" like woot simply becomes absorbed into the bloodstream of society, pushing up out of a well of nonsense and ignorance. The dictionaryesque treatment of woot must needs be a joke. An unwittingly, ironically professional study of a completely ,dare I say it, retarded internet word. Hey, I thought it was funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny shite, boy! Love the picture.