Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Shallow Shark Might Make A Mark

This may be an artistic travesty but I think it's an important piece. It is my personal opinion that not enough people read classic literature. It's also my opinion that when they do far too many feel obligated to think it's good. We don't want to admit we hated something that wordy types have been shrieking the praises of for centuries or more. It's okay to dislike old books, it really is. Just because a piece of literature has achieved a legendary status as a social commentary or psychological masterpiece does not mean it is going to enjoyable. I want everyone to go out and read one book regarded as classic or indispensable and be totally honest about how you felt about it. Start a dialogue, even if it's about why the book sucked. Go ahead, I'll wait.

No comments: