Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fear And Loathing In San Francisco: Prologue

There it is. San Francisco. You can look upon the entire breadth of it from Treasure Island. As I was doing so I was muttering "Stupid San Francisco, I hate stupid San Francisco. Why do I have to go back into stupid San Francisco". You see, I hate that city. I really do. On so many levels, for so many reasons. People who have never been there may not understand. People who live there might want to kick my ass out of civic pride. I don't care.

I've always hated San Francisco, ever since my first trip there. I was very young and I didn't go back for many years. I could recall little, only crowds, bums, crazies, cars, litter. I remembered too much of everything and the claustrophobic effect of endless buildings. I've grown up now and am no longer afraid of big cities, that is something a small child from the country is prone to, and now I just hate them.

Over the next few days I will recount my adventures in the city, with as little animosity as possible. I went to San Francisco as a fringe party of a road trip. My sister was going to a concert and I didn't want to pass up a free trip to the city. I was going to take pictures and write. Well, I took pictures. Writing was difficult, I find I am not very inspired while feeling enraged. Usually this was road rage, but not always.

No comments: